Thursday, September 17, 2009

wonderousness of Naugha Monster with a slice of awkward

As a child I was always falling for ugly things.  Two of my most prized possesions were hand-me-downs from older kids in our circle; 
one- Naugha Monster (given to me by a baby sitting neighber), two- Frankenstein Doll (given to me by my cousin John).  I've oft communicated remiss for these items, scoured Ebay but have let the prices keep my bidding desires behind the glass window and merely at window shopping status.
But I really, really...well...I loved those things.  The Naugha Monster who was part pillow, part co-hort  in childhood wonder and part horrific wild thing.  While Frankie was much so an extension of my first crush-quite frankly, on my cousin.  There was something to Frankenstein's green face, bolted neck and tombstone shoes that needed more love and attention than Barbie's that my girl cousin and sister were busy with.  To their credit and interior design skills, I remember the two of them going all out and being awed by their clever uses in structuring Barbie's sprawling loft, enclosed by The Beach Boy's Endless Summer double album as back and side wall and Elton John's Captain Fantastic as front and side walls.  They were brilliant at these rendered spaces of Pop Culture and Barbie chic.  But Naugha Monster and Frankie spoke my language.  They were happy with who they were then.  They didn't need a change of clothes (Naugha didn't even wear any).  They got by in the world and were loved for who they are, never asking for more accessories.  But there was something awkward & in-between; riding my training wheeled bike and my Monster friends.  Maybe I knew there would be a time where the pressures to pose chic would apply me towards Barbie culture?  Or maybe not.  However, that space of time in my childhood is a place I visit.  Do I especially remember being looked upon by outsiders I found gazing Frankenstein and I?  Or is that somthing i've insterted into the memory as I look back, I'm not sure.  I still admire odd spaces or places or things as the most comfortable, like my head on my Naugha Monster...And I always want to visit again. 

1 comment:

budger said...

Buy the Naugha Monster. I just googled it. It is amazing. Then I ebayed it, it is expensive.