Noah Purifoy was vaguely known to me. What I knew of him was from conversational asides. Being raised in San Diego, this was, "you know the guy that built the neighborhood Watts a monument from scrap, it's radical" was all I knew of his genius or extent of his body of work.
When given the time to visit LACMA to view the exhibition I leaped.
What I experienced was a strong connection. Movements held still and my breath too both visionary and auditory as though that were my profession in the moment.
These works thrilled me. They are wholly contemporary forms, paying me currency as I stood to reinvent, re-stimulate, resound and invite, beg and sway me by presence to participation with them. Do you feel the upward urgency to move your social standing, stand with those that did?
When you view these
I invite you to look through the photo of the first work. In the door's window please imagine the possibility of harmony.
Have you been so happy that you couldn't care less you've got no elbow room? For example, you sit at a table with best friends, they've brought dishes to the pot-luck, all unmatched linens, looked around feeling extreme joy in the moment? Though your paycheck's too small there is rhyme yet in the moment because the pull from the edges came together in the center - and in the center were champions, personally drumming out in earnest each stroke, at best to carry the beat, and you never notice a thing missed?
Mr. Purifoy,
Thank you for these gifts and sharing this talent. I am pleased to have had the honor of seeing your works, to write a small section about how BIG I felt about them.
Amylu
No comments:
Post a Comment