As Maman to my seven and a half year old I take note: She who has been spending the months since September's 2nd grade start is often bringing forward her life's memories for laughter and conversation.
At the beginning of the school year I had the intuitive belief that this 2nd grade year would prove a coming together. Physical challenges in my little girl's body-orgainization as she's moving through the world together with her mental-organization- her approach on awakening to face the day's events & routines from morning until bedtime. What I didn't anticipate was the happiness she would take in relishing the recall of the foundation of memories collected. Once a tiny girl with backwards shoes and clothes to today.
This a.m. she came from her bedroom {dressed in capri jeans from Gap, rose colored flats, peace sign graphic-t, one hand in a pink/black striped and fingerless ski glove (as if there is a gene for fashion)}. She remebered at toothbrushing, not being able to reach the bathroom counter. Then she remembered wearing velcro sandals to preschool every day and also putting her clothes on inside out. She also remembered that she was such a cute little girl! It was not very long ago and for many months the mornings were wrought with frustration and tears.
The parenting road is rocky, girls are tempermental. I swore off fashion mags and frivolous perceptions of myself as my responsiblity to raise a confident girl child. There have been times when she has shown signs of insecurity of appearance. I did not expect to cope with such times already at kindergarten and first grade when it began. But upon entering 2nd grade, another level has been structured. My child is like myself in many ways but unlike myself at age 7 in the modern world- she has a perspective of her own building blocks of self. My mind was eased and mood quite joyful and light at hearing her recounts.
Today she was happy and confident in her uniqueness. Monday is off to a great start. I'll not wonder about what the floor plans for the next stage will look like, but for now be happy right here. I don't think there is any other way to do parenting.
No comments:
Post a Comment