Consumerism rampant, Hallmark Holiday for sure! We agree there is much fakery to love and sincerity surrounding this day. But to me it's more. Starting here-
The history goes indeed quite a long way back. Our V-day Mythos stem from this referenced in the Nuremberg Chronicle (1493) for a martryd Priest, later Sainted. Supposedly, Valentine's last note from his prison cell to the jail keepers daughter (who fondly kept him company) was signed Your Valentine. I've always been fond of the written word and writing a note to a friend and sending of sentiment makes me feel good. Though, i'd rather the a prescribed holiday not hold the pen and paper over me. I remember being in grammar school, struggling to learn to write and write well. Valentine's to class mates was a pressure filled task, opening up my quiet world to critique on levels such as qualilty of valentine card, candy included, cursive v. printing and who's was best. I see this V. Day ritual of sharing a message as a precursor to Spring and it's renewal, whether vows, jokes about the weather, rituals, sentiments, it's a hint of telling "there's more to come".
I feel Mid-February's when I begin to sense a lessening of Winter's bond and a unhinged, like a swinging gate on a picket fence with senses open and the soon flowers in bloom. It's like a deep breath taken in restorative yoga pose, to get up and do another sun salutation and to prepare for what's next. AND then I plan a Spring outing. That is what valentine's day means to me. Happy Mid-February, Happy Valentine's Day, if you will.
Plus, if I've been too remiss, i'm reminded to get my taxes is order, spring cleaning's next and buckle down to it until that planned outing arrives!
In May I will post about door knobs and May Day doorbell ditching.
No comments:
Post a Comment