My family used to spend each Thanksgiving at the home of my Dad's eldest brother, in Apple Valley CA. The drive to California high desert was long and boring and at the time of my youth it seemed like we were going to Nowhere-Ville. We learned over the course of time life lessons that were priceless in patience and the nature world. We also were patrons at the now departed Roy Rogers Museum of which I adored. At one visit Dale Evans herself was present whisking through the exhibits with one of her older daughters - I was excited at age 8 to recognize her, one of my horse riding heroines. She was tugging on her pearl necklace and it broke apart ... me skittering to the scene to assist picking up tiny white polka dots scattered on the concrete museum floor, everywhere.
It's now many decades past this event, but the memories last and nourish me. I cherish the family members who make up the picture in my mind of these times. My Dad's elder
brother at age 81 was recently diagnosed with leukemia and he fights on. He is a strong and persevering being who I've long looked up to. He who just last August, rode 300 miles on a
cross-country cycling trip. These are the people in my life that I continue
to relate and share passing of time and life lessons, sometimes boring or joyful, often difficult.
I continue to strive and get out of life what
I put into it, whether to ride a horse or bike, take a train or catch a plane
- these are travels and pitfalls and adventures along stretches of things breaking or being
put back together in life but somewhere someone is always fighting the good fight for
their breath in life and goals and dreams and the trip isn't over until the curtains are drawn.
As Fall has arrived, Halloween is near and
Thanksgiving plans begin to unfold there's a part of my psyche that climbs up
to the High Desert, where my Uncles and Dad showed us nature walks, a labyrinth of Succulents and Cacti, looking for
Coyotes and Quail families skittering about under the Alder trees and in my
memories I find a tiny fallen quail egg, unbroken - gently picking it up with the sock
off my foot, bearing the cool air and place it back into safety - hopeful
for its full circle moment when new life cracks through. I learn how to live and see life from all aperatures. Lucky me to have family bonds which allow me the closeness to share actual life challenges, to climb peaks, mountains and to seek serene valleys when human will, humor and valor keeps moving.
Times try and they also challenge me to remember that surprises
happen, tiny gifts from life fall onto your path and to stay eyes wide open
though the tough times, really - it's just part of the ebb and I do remember
favorites moments, family gathered, friends laughing, time stretching out in
front of me like an open highway - no road blocks and I climb on, back in the
saddle and ride.
Happy All Saints, Thanksgiving Time of year !
No comments:
Post a Comment